The pros and cons of the new Sony Reader PRS-T3

Sony eReader

A few hours ago Sony launched its new eReader model whom he has baptized as Sony Reader PRS-T3 and that has raised great doubts from the outset regarding its design and improvements over the previous model, the Sony Reader PRS-T2.

This article is not intended to be a criticism, much less of Sony's new product, but rather with it we will try to put on the table and very clearly all the points for and against that we can find in the new PRS-T3. Advancing the content of this article a bit, I can already tell you that I am going to present you with many more points against than in favor.

In the first place, it is striking that despite the fact that Sony has always offered us more than one color in its electronic books, it has not thought of introducing new colors and the same colors that were available in the previous model are still maintained. Why is it that a step forward is not taken and fashionable colors such as purple or yellow are introduced that can arouse the interest of the youngest?. Something positive is that a protective case has been introduced which for the Sony Reader PRS-T2 cost between 30 and 35 euros. The question about it is; What if I don't want to have a cover for my eReader, can I remove it?

Continuing on the screen we are possibly before the the only eReader on the market of the most important firms that does not have a front light having to resort to small lights that can be attached to the cover. It should also be noted that Sony has renounced the new Carta technology that does incorporate the new Kindle Paperwhite, although it incorporates a screen with E-Ink Pearl HD technology.

Inside the Sony Reader PRS-T3 hide some of the few improvements and advantages that we can find in this device. These have to do with the ability of the eReader to spend more time without having to refresh the entire page.

In addition, we can also see and enjoy the new technology Quick Charge (fast charge) that will allow us to charge the device in just 3 minutes with the necessary charge to read a novel of up to 600 pages.

In a very personal opinion I think that we are facing an eReader with great similarities to the Sony Reader PRS-T2, with the same price and without some important improvements that, for example, make me think about changing my PRS-T2 for this new Sony Reader PRS -T3.

More information - Kindle Paperwhite Vs Sony Reader PRS-T3, debutante duel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

1. Responsible for the data: Miguel Ángel Gatón
  2. Purpose of the data: Control SPAM, comment management.
  3. Legitimation: Your consent
  4. Communication of the data: The data will not be communicated to third parties except by legal obligation.
  5. Data storage: Database hosted by Occentus Networks (EU)
  6. Rights: At any time you can limit, recover and delete your information.

1.   Atrus said

Another advantage (and the only thing that goes into my possible future purchase) is that it includes buttons for turning the page, something that unfortunately (at least for those of us who prefer that system and not end up with a screen full of fingerprints) It is disappearing in all models that have a touch screen

2.   aldaraaldara33 said

I just bought a sony prs-t3 and in less than 2 weeks I had to charge it 2 times. They have told me that everything depends on how you use it and I can tell you that I have not even read a 400 page book. and without using wifi. Can someone tell me if it is normal ??? Thanks

1.    Sevillian said

Take it to where you bought it, because it is not normal, I gave my partner the PRS-T3 on Three Kings Day and he has read 3 books of 300-odd pages each, and not ten minutes or half an hour, but two or three hours a day, which sticks with it and until today has not had to charge it, 42 days using it, a few days more than others, but with intense use, and what has been said, for now is great. Greetings

1.    aldara33 said

Thank you very much Sevillano, indeed the book is defective, which has surprised them because they are ebooks that do not usually give problems, much less with the battery. I hope the one they gave me turns out better. I will cross my fingers. 🙂

3.   José Iván said

I bought the Prs-t3 from Sony and what is my surprise, that after two weeks of use, a line has appeared that separates the screen and the upper left half, it has stopped working. The ebook has not had a bump, or fall, nothing at all, just the touch of the finger to turn leaves ... In MediMark they do not take charge, they say that the screen does not come under warranty and in Sony they change the screen by paying € 170 and reading in forums, there are several of us with the same case and we have found a closure under the nose of any solution.

1.    John Cervantes said

I have had the same problem and they tell me in a half mark that it is irreparable because it is anteconomic, I do not understand it and I am very disappointed. ¿
      Where can you kick?

4.   Ricardo said

I recommend you not to buy Sony Reader PRS-T3
    I bought it at FNAC and after a month and a half, like Ivan, the screen does not work, It has not taken any kind of blows, FNAC does not cover it and the official Sony service asks me to fix it for more euros than what it cost. In addition, those from the technical service assure me that people with the same problem do not stop arriving.

5.   Cristina said

On January 12, 2014 I went to a store to buy a gift for my sister: a SONY PRS-T3 e-book. 149,90 euros.

Last Sunday, August 17, 2014, my sister explained to me that she wants to turn on the e-book and it does not turn on. We reviewed the e-book and decided to reset it. It does not work or resetting it. Go dead.

We contact Sony technical assistance via e-mail. We received no reply.

We decided to approach an official technical service and surprise: the boy tells us that the screen is broken at the top (at home there were 3 of us and how fine the line was, we didn't even see it). Broken ? How does it rotate? if it has not fallen, nor have we hit it, nor has it been scratched !!! How does it rotate? What quality is that of a screen of a tactile e-book that does not last even 6 months without having made a hit ???

We called SONY technical support by phone exposing the case, answer of the operator: we have pressed too much on the screen and that is why it has broken. Held down ????? if it has hardly been used !!!!

I am reading in various forums, including the official one from Sony, that several people have had the same thing, and we clearly see that this smells of a manufacturing and quality defect in this e-book.

We are very disappointed at home with this experience. 149 euros is a lot of effort for a normal person, and 5 months of life of a new product are not even remotely signs of a company that proclaims quality and is making people feel cheated and cheated.

I expose and demand from Sony a full refund of the amount or the replacement of a new e-book PRS-T3, there is no right. If we do not have a solution, I will not recommend SONY to anyone nor do we intend to buy anything else from their brand.

6.   Miren said

Good morning. The load also lasts very little for me, it is true that I read a lot I stop 20 days of loading for what they announce ...
    I'm a bit clumsy, I think that you have to write the notes with your finger, there is a tool to do it, I have a palm and I have a pencil
    Thanks for your comments, I hope someone clarifies my doubts
    Miren

7.   Rafa said

!!! DO NOT BUY SONY !!!
    Good afternoon, I bought a SONY PRS-T3 at the end of July in the English court (€ 149). A month later the upper left part of the screen has died without a hit or anything like that. I have taken it to the English court and they tell me to go directly to the official Sony service, that the screen does not come under warranty. In view of the comments, I already know what the technical service is going to tell me. I do not understand how they can ignore such a thing in a product that costs almost € 150. We should take some joint action so they don't laugh at us.

8.   marten said

my sony ebook has version 1.0.01.09040 I want to update because it cuts the words wrong but it scares me. I need help as some say that after updating the ebook it won't work. Thank you

9.   Carlos said

Very fragile screen. It breaks easily and SONY does not cover it.
    I also gave a Sony PRS-T3 to my wife. She was very happy and I also gave her the protective cover with lighting.

But after three months one day he finds him with some stripes at the top of the screen. I remove the protective cap

to take him to the SAT and in that operation the lines extended to the middle of it. I figured it would be broken.
    But as they say in many comments SONY goes through everything and does not consider it to be their responsibility and it is not covered by their warranty.

IT IS A TRUE ATRACTION because the gadget is not cheap at all, and actually has a weak and non-compliant screen.

with the minimum standards of resistance.

10.   laia said

I have not had the sony prs-t3 for a month and the screen has already stopped working. This morning was going perfectly. 20 minutes later I turned it on again to continue reading and the screen no longer worked. I can neither turn it off, nor connect it to the pc and even less read a book. I have sent an email to the technical service that they have not responded. I will take it where I bought it to see if there is a solution but because I'm looking at it, it gives me that I'm going to swallow the money I spent.

11.   M Jesus said

I am reading the comments on the screen, I just opened it and it has 2 quadrants where no page appears
    I'm going to approach the FNAC, but for your comments ...
    Has someone tried to put it by consumers with the corresponding complaint?
    It's worth so much teasing !!!

12.   Miguel Angel said

The carcass is crap. After a year of use, the plastic melts and your hands get sticky black. Incredible on a Sony product. The visibility of the screen is dark and you have to orient it to be able to read. The next Kindle.

1.    M Jesus Cienfuegos said

Miguel,
      You are lucky that the case melts, the problem is when the screen breaks without touching it and BEWARE !!! and Sony responds that they do not want to know anything, although it is in the warranty period, they are not responsible for screen breakage
      Another suggestion from the FNAC is that they are very delicate and it is not advisable to take them to the beach ... AWESOME !!!! They could tell you at the time of purchase, no?
      It's funny, they have stopped making it, why?
      I think we are quite the affected, it should be put in the hands of OCU
      All the best

13.   LULOMA said

We should all have bought the Ebook around the same date and the same thing happened to me too, the upper left part of the screen does not work, it must be a manufacturing error. I do not believe that we all give it in the same place I bought it at Media Mark and when I took it they looked at me badly, they didn't take 24 hours to call me to say that it was a problem of screen breakage due to a blow, which is what Sony had told him. A lie and the fat women I do not think they were that fast, neither in taking it to Sony, nor in trying to fix it, I feel cheated and now I know by whom, IT IS SONY who has put a product on sale in poor condition since there are many of us . I go directly to the OCU.

14.   Victor said

Well, I must be the only one doing well, thank God.